2.25.2010

Mistreating Daddy

I got a friend to help me figure out the chords for this one; he had to listen to it about 10 times in a row and kept shouting things like, "Damn you, Bessie!" You see, no chord progression repeats without some variation. I love how saucy this song is, in spite of the beaten woman verse. I was really sold on the middle section; there are certainly times when I want to warn people that I could cut them all to pieces like I would a piece of meat. Bessie Smith sings it about a third higher.

Daddy, Mama's got the blues
| G - D | G - G7 |
The kind of blues that's hard to lose
| C | G |
'Cause you mistreatin' me
| G | D |
And drove me from your door.
| A7 | D |
Daddy, you ain't heard the news:
| G - D | G - G7 |
There's another papa in your shoes
| C | G |
You ain't even got a chance with me no more
| A7 | D |
So be on your p's and q's.
| A7 | D |

Mistreating daddy, mistreating Mama all the time
| D7 | D7 |
Just because she wouldn't let you
| D7 | D7 |
Mistreating daddy, Mama's drawn a danger line
| G | G |
If you cross it I'll get you.
| G | G |
If you see me sitting on another daddy's knee
| C | C |
Don't bother me, I'm as mean as can be
| G | G |
I'm like that butcher, right down the street:
| A7 | A7 |
I could cut you all to pieces like I would a piece of meat
| D -- | -- |

Mistreating daddy, you used to knock your mama down
| D7 | D7 |
Then you knew I fell for you
| D7 | D7 |
And be so nervous, I would start dogging
| G | G |
Round here every time I saw you
| C | C |
But now I've got you off of my mind
| C | D#ยบ7 |
And found another daddy who's just my kind
| G | E7 |
Mistreating daddy, I've got another papa now.
| Am | D7 | G |

I've got a tip for people talking about
| C | C |
I will grab my daddy and turn him wrong side out
| G | E7 |
Mistreating daddy, I've got a good papa now.
| Am | D7 | G | G7 --

No comments:

Post a Comment