3.03.2010

Moaning the Blues

Pretty much the sexiest blues song of all time. I haven't figured out what the last intelligible word of the song is--strut would make more sense, but doesn't strictly rhyme with was. Of course, as Tom Lehrer put it, it sounds more ethnic if it ain't good English and it don't even gotta rhyme. From the crooning of Victoria Spivey.

ETA: Suzy Thompson suggests bug may be the mystery word at the end of the third verse. Sounds pretty good to me. She's also given the OK on the chords, although she suggests a C7, which seems solid to me.

[intro]
| G - G7 | C7 | G - D7 | G |

Now, you talk about the black snake blues
| G | G7 |
Well, you haven't heard no moaning yet
| G | G7 |
Moaning all day long
| C7 | C7 | G | G |
And when you hear this moaning
| D7 |
It's moaning you will never forget
| D7 | G | G |

Ahhhh-ohhh
| G | G | G7 | G7 |
Ahhhh-ohhh
| G | G | G7 | G7 |
Mmmmmmm
| C7 | C7 |
Ahh-ohh
| G | G |
Well, I know I can moan,
| D7 |
I don't see how I lost my happy home
| D7 | G | G |

Well, it was on a Sunday morning
I didn't feel so good
I felt like a cow when she had lost her cud
I began my moaning all day long
And when you hear me moaning
You can bet sweet mama feel good.

Ahhhh-ohhh
Ahhhh-ohhh
Mmmmmmm
Ahh-ohh
Lord, I know I can moan,
I don't see how I lost my home

Well, if I'm the only one in my family
To take a biscuit to pieces
And put it back just like it was
With my moaning all day long
Yes, I can kick my legs high
And you oughta see me do the bug.

Ahhhh-ohhh
Ahhhh-ohhh
Mmmmmmm
Ahh-ohh
Ahhh-ohhhhhhh
Ahhhhh-ohhhhhhhhhh

No comments:

Post a Comment