3.16.2010

Murder In The First Degree

I'm flat-out guessing on some of these lyrics. They don't seem to be anywhere on the wide webs. The biggest question is, the first half of the last line in the third verse--"Any charge that I'm makin" makes the most sense, but it isn't what it sounds like she's actually saying. Let me know if you've got a different interpretation.

Well, I'm layin' here in this jailhouse, scared as any fool can be (2x)
I believe they're gonna hang me, from what my lawyer said to me

My man got runnin' around with a woman he know I can't stand (2x)
There's one notch on my gun, and the world's rid of one triflin' man

I scrubbed them pots and kettles, I washed and ironed them white folks' clothes (2x)
Any charge that I'm makin', I killed him, Judge, and that's all I know

Judge, if you had killed your woman, and had to come before me
If you'da killed a woman who trifled and had to come before me
I'd send her to the gallows, and, Judge, would let you go free

I said I ain't done nothin but killed a man what belonged to me (2x)
And here they got me charged with murder in the first degree

No comments:

Post a Comment